A friend at Calvary loaned me this book. He had read it, found it helpful and was seeing if I would like it.
I found it helpful.
The book is a compilation of essays that they have previously published in a periodical. They put similar topics together for this little book. It’s part of their “Emotional Intelligence” series.
Here’s the titles of the essays:
1. To Resolve a Conflict, First Decide: Is it Hot or Cold – Aim for warmth by Mark Gerzon
2. Taking the Stress Out of Stressful Conversations – How to talk when you’re emotionally entangled by Holly Weeks
3. The Secret to Dealing with Difficult People: It’s About You – Three new lenses to try on by Tony Schwartz
4. How to Deal with a Mean Colleague – Stand up for yourself by Amy Gallo
5. How to Deal with a Passive-Aggressive Colleague – Don’t accuse them by Amy Gallo
6. How to Work with Someone Who’s Always Stressed Out – Celebrate their victories by Rebecca Knight
7. How to Manage Someone Who Thinks Everything is Urgent – Help them see consequences by Liz Kislik
8. Do You Hate Your Boss? – Managing up when your personalities clash by Manfred F. R. Kets de Vries
It’s obviously not a Christian book, but it was a helpful book, as it is dealing in the area of wisdom, specifically how to be wise in these various situations. Is it gospel? Nope… but some good suggestions, and some new approaches to what are often confounding problems.
In my case, a couple of the chapters were answers to prayer. I needed help in a couple of relationships, I had been praying about them, and felt like the Lord had answered that prayer by providing some counsel from others who had some success in similar situations.
So… helpful book!